Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Studio

So I have been obsessing about having my studio pass the white glove test since Dan's B-day celebration is this weekend. It is the first room you walk into in our house. And I keep thinking it hast to be perfect. Well I picked up this book last night from the library.Art making and Studio Spaces I've been reading it and I've come to realize my studio doesn't have to be perfect and super duper organized. It should be somewhat presentable yes, but it should also reflect me and who I am. I would probably never pass a white glove test. I keep my fingernails short since they are always covered with clay, ink, paint, pear-ex powders. My clothes are not fancy because usually some of that paint will find itself on pants or shirts. I try really hard not to get stuff on the floor since this property is my G-mom's and one day soon someone else may every well live here. But my studio should reflect me. Colors and quotes, robots and cupcakes decorate the walls and small containers filled with craft accoutrement litter my big desk. unfinished sewing projects in baskets tucked under the cutting table. Fabric spilling out from the bookshelf designated loosely by color. That's me, and that's how I create. You may come to my house someday and I can clear you off a spot, find you a chair and we can be creative together. But please don't tell me my studio is a mess, it is 100% me.

No comments: